新浦京棋牌:Ustad assaulted by youths in West Jakarta: Police
The Jakarta Post
An ustad (Islamic teacher) has been assaulted by a gang of youths in Palmerah, West Jakarta, the police confirmed on Monday.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono confirmed that the incident occurred late Saturday, saying the youths felt incensed after the victim, 40-year-old Abdul Basyit, repeatedly told them off for untoward behavior in the neighborhood.
“The youths frequently disturbed the peace by sleeping in front of the mosque, urinating in public and making a commotion,” said Argo.
Al-Ikhlas mushalla (small mosque) located on Jl. KH Syahdan is a frequent haunt of the youths, who had been reprimanded repeatedly by the victim over the past two weeks.
Four teenagers have been detained and charged under Article 170 of the Criminal Code (KUHP), which carries a seven-year prison sentence. At least seven suspects are on the run.
National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said the incident was purely criminal in nature. He asked the public not to connect the crime to religion, following recent religious-tinged incidents across the country. (jlm)
- Mt. Agung erupts again
- Indonesia demands justice for Adelina
- Commentary: New penal code: How are we worse than the Dutch?
- Indonesia promises speedier licensing, offers tax incentives
- Traffic on Jl. Thamrin increases by 35 percent after motorcycle ban repeal
- Chocolates remain the favorite gift on Valentine’s Day
- Marvel Cinematic Universe assembles for 10th year anniversary photo
- Fed chief: US to maintain post-crisis regulations
- CCAI, Citi Indonesia sign business deal
- Ministry revokes 22 regulations on energy sector